Black Orchestra is a cooperative board game set in World War II, where players take on the roles of members of the German resistance seeking to overthrow Hitler's regime. The game is named after the real-life code name "Schwarze Kapelle," given by the Gestapo to this group of conspirators. It offers a blend of historical narrative and strategic gameplay, where players must balance the urgency of their mission with the need to remain undetected.
- Historical Characters: Players choose historical figures from the Reich who were part of the conspiracy against Hitler.
- Strategy and Suspicion: Players need to build strength, gather resources, and plan their actions while avoiding raising suspicion.
- Gestapo Pursuit: High suspicion leads to Gestapo sweeps, arrests, and interrogations, which can compromise the entire mission.
- Action Choices: Players can move, search for items, draw cards, or attempt to gain extra actions by rolling dice.
- Conspire Action: Risky dice-rolling action that can yield more actions but increases the chance of attracting Gestapo attention.
- Event Cards: Advance the timeline through seven stages of WWII, affecting gameplay and strategy.
Winning the Game
- Plot Against Hitler: Players must collect and fulfill requirements for a plot card (like Hitler’s location, items needed).
- Dice Roll for Assassination Attempt: Successful plots depend on dice rolls, modifiers, and Action cards.
- Adapt to Changing Scenarios: Players must adapt to changing board conditions as WWII progresses.
Cooperative Play Dynamics
- Teamwork and Discussion: Players must work together, discussing and agreeing on strategies.
- Mitigating Single Player Dominance: Uncertainties and critical solo decisions prevent one player from controlling the game.
- Immersive Experience: Players engage in tense, thematic conversations, mirroring those of the actual conspirators.
- Historical Immersion: Deeply immersed in the WWII era, players experience the challenges faced by the actual conspirators.
- Balancing Risk and Reward: Players must carefully decide when to take bold actions and when to stay cautious.
- Intense Cooperative Gameplay: Requires strategic planning, collaboration, and sometimes, a bit of luck.
Black Orchestra offers a unique blend of historical narrative and intense strategic gameplay. It challenges players to think critically, work cooperatively, and navigate a treacherous path of resistance against one of history's most tyrannical regimes. The game provides not only a thrilling board game experience but also an opportunity to delve into an important historical period, understanding the complexities and moral dilemmas faced by those who dared to resist from within.
Nominated for 2 awards.
- 1 - 5 Players
- 90 Minutes
- 14+ years old
- Easy to learn
Video reviews, ratings, Let's Plays and tests for Black Orchestra
We like Black Orchestra so much that we recommend it in the following board game recommendation lists 2024
- Position 10 in The best games set in Germany 🇩🇪
- Position 30 in The best games where you move from point to point
- Position 10 in The best games with improvements via Tech Tree or Tech Tracks
- Position 18 in The best games with pickup and deliver 🚚
- Position 8 in The best World War I games ⚔️
- Position 6 in The best World War II games ⚔️